Health and Safety Superintendent
Greenstone Mine – Health and Safety Superintendent
Greenstone Gold Mines L.P. is a 60/40 joint venture partnership between Equinox Gold and Orion Mine Finance Group formed for the purpose of the joint ownership and development of the Greenstone Gold Property including the Greenstone Mine located on a historical mine site in the Geraldton-Beardmore Greenstone belt in Ontario. The Greenstone Mine is managed directly by a dynamic and experienced Owner’s team, with an estimated $1.5 Billion investment over the three-year construction and commissioning phase, and a 14-year operating life of mine.
Greenstone Gold Mines is seeking a Health and Safety Superintendent. Initially reporting to the Director of Operations and subsequently to the General Manager, the Health and Safety Superintendent is responsible for Health and Safety issues within the Greenstone Mine.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Develop and implement Health and Safety programs including safety rules, policies, and procedures in accordance with site, company and government regulation and legislation.
- Responsible for the compliance of all safety rules, policies, and procedures.
- In strong collaboration and support from the mine, mill, and services, who are responsible for their individual and collective Health and Safety, be accountable for the overall safety and wellbeing of its employees and contractors
- Verify that the Health and Safety Management System is understood by all employees and contractors through surveillance audits and directly engaging with people.
- Manage the daily, weekly, and monthly Health and Safety reporting requirements and keep accurate up to date data on leading and lagging indicators
- Be a positive liaison to external stakeholders as well as government regulators
- Oversee the development and “mine-readiness” of the mine search and rescue.
- Responsible to clearly articulate and present the expected safety behaviours during the on-boarding process and through-out the life of mine. Facilitate and conduct health and safety training sessions as required.
- Develop and promote the adoption of new safety training programs and practices while maintaining a strong base, as part of a proactive rather than reactive program.
- Partner with mine managers, workers, health and safety committee members, and government inspectors to create and promote a safe work environment.
- Facilitate and participate in incident/accident investigations and risk assessments.
- Review internal and external health and safety reports to determine areas for continuous improvement.
- Guide and assist management to understand and implement applicable legislation and best practices.
- Work in close collaboration with the Health and Safety Construction Lead.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communications
- Strong leadership skills and ability to create a positive collaborative work environment
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & EDUCATION
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional Designation or recognized degree in Occupational Health and Safety
- Demonstrated experience leading and directing employees and work teams
- Ten+ (10) years’ experience in a health and safety leadership role preferably within the mining industry.
- A combination of experience and training that demonstrates the ability to perform the key responsibilities of the position
- Advanced knowledge of the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations for mines and processing plants
- Proficient in Microsoft and experience with Health and Safety software programs
This position will be based in Geraldton, OntarioWe thank all candidates for their applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Greenstone Gold Mines is committed to inclusiveness, equity, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Greenstone Gold Mines is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all workers in the workplace and recognizes that COVID-19 vaccination has been shown to be very effective in reducing COVID-19 virus transmission and protecting most vaccinated individuals from severe consequences of COVID-19. Being vaccinated will help protect our workforce and our local Indigenous and community partners. In that respect, Greenstone Mine has a implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination.